There are times in life when you look in the mirror and suddenly think, "Wait. Is my natural red hair colour fading?" Maybe you have dark natural red hair that’s getting brown undertones, or the copper hair you’re so used to looks dull.
There are many shades of natural red hair, and they can all experience fading throughout life. But it’s a scary moment. After all, red hair is part of your identity. So, here’s how to stop all natural red hair shades from losing their vibrant colour.
PROTECT YOUR HAIR FROM THE SUN
Learning how to avoid sun-bleaching is the best way to prevent red locks from losing their colour. The UV rays break down hair protein, creating dry and faded locks, so protect your hair from the sun.
DON’T OVERWASH YOUR RED HAIR
Overwashing strips your hair of its natural colour, making it appear dull and lifeless. Stick to washing your hair a max of three times a week, and make sure the water isn’t super hot. If the water’s too hot when it touches your scalp, it shouldn’t be touching your strands!
USE A WEEKLY HAIR MASK FOR RED HAIR
Red hair dries out easily and often needs extra TLC than other hair colours. Applying hair masks is the secret weapon to give your natural red hair moisture and a colour boost, particularly when it contains henna. Get back your redheaded glow by using a henna-infused hair mask. Use weekly (or every 1 in 3 or 4 washes) before you wash your hair as a pre-treatment or after shampooing as a deep conditioner.
NOURISH YOUR RED HAIR WITH HAIR-LOVING INGREDIENTS
The wrong ingredients in hair products can strip your hair of its colour. But the right ingredients can enhance red hair shades. Here are some key ingredients that nurture red hair:
- Avocado: Rich in anti-oxidants, avocado seals in moisture and protects your hair for a multi-tonal shine.
- Coconut: Smooths frizzy locks and strengthens your hair shaft to lock in your red hair colour.
- Aloe leaf: Deeply hydrating, aloe vera prevents dry hair and keeps your natural red hair from fading.
USE COLOUR-ENHANCING PRODUCTS FOR RED HAIR
Products that boost your natural red hair colour are the perfect way to restore your vivid shade back to life. But you don’t want to use damaging harsh chemicals. Instead, look for natural ingredients that can help to brighten your locks. Here are our top three:
- Henna: Henna is a botanical powder from the henna plant. Its beauty benefits have been in use for centuries to dye hair naturally. Regularly using henna-infused products heightens all shades of natural red hair, perfect if your strands are fading.
- Hibiscus: If you’ve ever drunk hibiscus tea, you’ll know it turns the water into a beautiful, sultry pink colour. And that’s what you need to make your red hair pop. Using a hibiscus shampoo and conditioner will naturally liven up fading red hair.
- Carrots: You already know the bright orange colour of carrots, but have you ever considered using a carrot-infused conditioner? It takes dark natural red hair or hair that’s losing its zest to the next level.
EMBRACE YOUR NATURAL RED HAIR SHADES
Red hair can fade as you get older or go through hormonal changes. It’s a natural process, and that’s okay! Welcome your changing red hair colour and implement our Gingerful tips to prevent your natural red hair from fading.